Thursday 9 September 2010

The Shelf and the Bwlch Penbarras





I took Gabe out one night for a few hours on my road bike to sample the amazing panoramic views and a couple of hills I ride in Denbighshire, North Wales. We started half way up Moel Famau and headed out towards Ruthin and rode up the 3 miles climb of 'The Shelf'. We then turned around and rode back and went onto the savage climb known as the 'Old Bwlch'. This is a pretty tough climb for anyone and I've seen many blow up and have to walk up sections of it. On any large group rides that I've been on the call out of, 'everyman for themselves' goes out at the very start of this climb. I find that when you get to the first cattle grid it will take the same amount of effort to get to the notorious hairpin bend, no matter what don't give up, once you get past that bend it is a little bit easier until the last 200 metres which kicks up just enough to have you back out the saddle.
It has been in the 'Killer Climb' page of Cycling Weekly and got an overall rating of 8.5 out of 10.
Some Bwlch Penbarras facts:
2.25km/1.4 miles long
260 metres of climbing
25% at various points

No comments:

Post a Comment